This pulao is a great way to get rid of vegetables in your fridge as well as get a quick meal ready for when you’re lazy, but broke. With the soaring temperatures in Delhi my kitchen becomes a hotpot making it difficult to spend long hours there. This pulao comes together so quickly because all I have to do is dump all the ingredients in the pressure cooker and forget about it. It’s also light and filling which is exactly what you need on a hot summer day. Finish it off with a glass of minty lemonade and you’re gold! Let’s get to the recipe!
NOTE: I like my pulao to have a slightly wet consistency which is why I add tomatoes, but you can omit that.
3 tablespoons ghee
2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
1 tablespoon cumin
1 bay leaf
2 medium onions- sliced lengthwise
1/2 cup potato – cubed
1/2 cup carrots – cubed
1/2 cup capsicum – cubed
1/2 cup beans – chopped
1/2 cauliflower florets
1/4 cup coriander – chopped
2 cups rice – washed and soaked for 30 minutes
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon garam masala powder
1 teaspoon dry mango powder
salt to taste
water as required
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Once the ghee is melted and hot, add cumin and your bay leaf and roast till fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and fry till slightly brown.
- Once the onions are brown and carmelised, add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add your chopped vegetables and fry for 3 minutes.
- Add some water and your masalas and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add washed and drained rice.
- Add more water if required.
- Pressure cook on high heat for 3 whistles.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with some cumin raita. Enjoy!