Mornings for me are always a mad rush. Making breakfast and then lunch, packing dinner for work. Most days breakfast is just a cup of tea and maybe a PB&J sandwich or fruits, but some days I just need a wholesome breakfast! Obviously we don’t need a whole fancy meal, but I do like a healthy one! I almost always have spinach and eggs lying around so I thought why not throw it all in a pan and whip up some goodness and that’s exactly what happened. I also had some mushrooms which I didn’t want to go to waste so I threw those in too. There was a time when I just couldn’t stand the sight of mushrooms. My mother found it bizarre because I had never thrown a tantrum about food, but after seeing those little knobs of fungus growing on my boarding school room window the thought of mushrooms made me gag.
Back to the eggs! Well, this dish is so versatile that you can literally throw any leftover vegetables you have in this pan. Add tomatoes if you like, cheese, potatoes… anything! Plus, it’s all in one pan!
a handful of spinach chopped
5 garlic cloves
1 medium onion sliced thin
5 mushrooms sliced thin
2 tablespoons butter
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika powder/chili powder
3 tablespoons of milk
- In a clean bowl, crack in the eggs. Add turmeric powder, paprika powder, salt, pepper and milk and whisk till frothy.
- In a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon butter and add in the garlic and fry till aromatic. Then add in the onions and fry till translucent. Add mushrooms and spinach and fry till the spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once everything is cooked, add in the eggs. Let it cook covered on a low flame for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes add in little knobs of butter around the sides of the eggs. This is a tip I learned from Gordon Ramsay. It keeps the eggs moist as well as makes it creamy.
- Once the sides have firmed up, scramble the eggs and take off heat. What I like to do is let the residual heat from my pan cook the eggs through. This way I have moist and almost a custard-like texture to the eggs.
- Spoon the mixture on toast and enjoy with a hot cup of tea or coffee!
Remember, you can add anything your heart desires to this mix!