So after a really long holiday at home, being pampered by mum and dad I returned to ‘adulting’ again. I really did want to post recipes from home, but I decided I need a ‘social media/internet cleanse’. Either way we’re back in business now!
I’ve been meaning to buy a loaf tin for ages now, but I kept putting off the purchase sating I didn’t need it. Boy was I wrong! I finally got myself one and I couldn’t wait to bake with it! I’m like a kid around baking equipment. Need to immediately use the shiny new toy! The result though was fabulous! This marble cake is light and fluffy and goes beautifully with some tea or coffee. Well, that was the idea till the loaf didn’t even get to tea time! In the batch I made, I ended up adding quite a lot of chocolate batter to the mix, but I fixed the right quantities in the recipe below. You know it and I know it; there is never too much chocolate! Let’s get to it.
For the vanilla batter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoon vanilla essence
For the chocolate batter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 tablespoons oil
- In two clean mixing bowls, sift in the dry ingredients for both batters. Set aside.
- In two other bowl mix in all the wet ingredients and mix till combined.
- Add the respective wet mixes to the dry ingredients and stir till combined well.
- Line a loaf tin with parchment paper and pour in 1/2 of the vanilla batter followed by 1/2 the chocolate batter. Again top with the remaining vanilla batter and chocolate batter. Use a clean skewer and make swirls to give you that beautiful marbled effect.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes at 150 degree celsius or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let it cool, slice and enjoy!
Add vinegar or lemon juice to milk and set aside and you’ll get buttermilk. Using buttermilk makes cakes moist.
Also, special shout out to my friend Gowri for helping me improve my amateur photography skills. I will get better pictures of all my food on the blog soon, but for now please forgive me! Please do check out Gowri’s kitchen for some amazing recipes!