Mondays are the worst. After a relaxing weekend, Mondays are like the devil! Winters make me extremely lazy and if meal times could be a bowl of ramen it would, but alas! Anyway I’m trying to eat healthy and waste no food this month (somehow things go to the back of my refrigerator and get lost) so I threw together ingredients I didn’t want to go to waste in a pressure cooker and turned it into a delicious pot of yum. It’s a perfect winter meal. I would take this rice bowl to bed!
I like to call this my dirty rice recipe. Don’t ask me why, I just like to. I love this recipe. It combines all my favourite ingredients and flavours in one pot and it is so easy to throw together! Let’s get to it.
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (there is no such thing as too much garlic)
1 medium onion sliced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 chicken breasts cubed
1 1/2 cups of rice
1 cup spinach – washed and chopped ( add more if you like!)
1 tablespoon butter + oil
2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 tablespoon paprika powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
- In a clean, dry bowl throw in the chicken, salt, pepper, 1/2 tablespoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder and oregano. Let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- In another bowl soak rice and set aside till ready to cook.
- Heat oil and butter in your pressure cooker. Add in chopped garlic and roast until fragrant. Add in onions and cook till translucent.
- Add in chicken and cook for 5 minutes on medium high flame. Add in mushrooms and spinach. Add in salt, pepper, chilli powder and some turmeric for a lovely colour. Mix thoroughly.
- Drain rice and add to the pot and mix until the grains are evenly coated in the spices.
- Add in the stock and cover. Pressure cook on a high flame for 3 whistles.
- Release pressure once done and fluff with a fork. Voila! Bowl of yum is ready!