Growing up pasta was one of my least favourite dishes, but now it’s my favourite lazy meal prep dish! Not only is it easy to make, the ingredients can be swapped out or in based on what you have in your fridge. So versatile!
- 2 cups of macaroni
- half a cup of chopped capsicum, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes and onions
- half a cup of chicken sausage or 1 chicken breast cubed
- 6 finely chopped garlic cloves
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the sauce
- 1 cup of grated cheese of your choice (I use Amul slice cheese because it melts easily)
- Quarter cup of milk
- Salt and pepper
- Into a pot of salted boiling water add in some oil and the macaroni and cook till al dente. Drain the pasta add a bit of oil, salt and pepper give it a good toss and set aside.
- The oil helps keep the macaroni from clumping. How to know if your pasta is al dente? When you bite into your cooked pasta it should still have a bite to it but be soft that it gets crushed between your fingers.
- Into a hot pan add some olive oil and chopped garlic. Fry till the garlic is fragrant and slightly browning. This adds an amazing depth of flavour to the oil.
- Next add in your onions and cook till they turn translucent.
- Add in all your other chopped vegetables except the tomatoes and cook till tender.
Transfer your cooked vegetables into a bowl and add in your chicken into the same pan and cook till done.
- Once your chicken is cooked, take that off the heat too and set aside.
- Start to make the cheese sauce. Add your milk into a pan and add in your cheese and stir continuously till it is gooey. If you think your sauce is too think add in more cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in your cooked pasta into the sauce and mix till everything is well coated. Then add in your vegetables and chicken and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and voila!
- Use vegetable or meat of your choice in this dish.
- You can use any kind of pasta with this base recipe, spaghetti goes brilliantly.
- If you don’t have olive oil you can use vegetable oil too.
- You can make a mixed sauce by adding tomato ketchup to the cheese sauce. Use chilli sauce if you like it spicy!