- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Cream together your sugar and butter in a bowl till the mixture turns pale yellow. (Go old-school, use a wooden spoon!) Once the mixture is well combined add in the eggs and vanilla essence and mix through.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Add in the flour, salt, baking powder and mix through.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet adding only half the dry mixture at a time. Add in the milk half at a time till you have a dropping consistency.
- Bake in a heated pressure cooker* for 20 minutes. Once done, take it out and allow them to cool.
- Use an apple corer or an icing nozzle to dig out a hole in your cooled cupcakes and fill with your favourite jam. Experiment with different flavours – I highly recommend a chocolate orange jammy dodger cupcake!
The pressure cooker method
Add half a cup of water into your pressure cooker. Put it a wire stand and heat it with the lid on without the whistle for 5 minutes. Once heated you can put in your batter and bake, but remember to not use the whistle.